By Jill Compher and Charles Cooper
There are two options when creating auras via Aurasma. You can create and store them in the “private” section or the “public” section. You will find below instructions for making a “public” aura. Auras must be public and connected to a channel students are subscribed to for classroom use.
- Once you download Aurasma (for free) and register it. You will press the “A” icon at the bottom of the screen. The first image below is an Aura linked to a video of this static piece of paper. Single tap the video for even more ideas.
- You will see a “+” icon at the bottom of this screen. Press this to create a new aura.
- There is a library of preloaded 3-d images and videos you can use or you can create your own. Let’s assume you want to create your own. So, next press “device”.
- In the upper left hand corner you’ll see a large purple “+”. Press that.
- You can take a new video or image by choosing “Camera”, you can upload a previously taken image or video by choosing “photo album”, or you can upload images or videos from the internet by choosing “blinkx”. Just for brevity’s sake, let’s choose a still image you already have on your device. Press “photo album”.
- Once you pick your image or video, you will be given the option to name it.
- You will then be prompted with the question “Would you like to create an Aura?” Choose “ok”.
- The “Aura” screen will appear. The next image you capture will be your “trigger image”. When Aurasma sees this image, your overlay will appear. So find something around you that has enough detail for the spectrum indicator at the bottom to move to the “green” side. This lets you know that Aurasma can “see” it.
- Take the picture and Aurasma will give you a preview of your final product. Push the “>” button to move on.
- Name your project. You have the choice to make it public or private here as well as whether you want to add it to a channel or not. Remember, channels are how your followers will access your “Auras”, otherwise these are accessible only to you on your device. For classroom use, choose “public” and add to your classroom channel.
- Finally, Aurasma will let you know when your “Aura” is ready to go! All that is left is to try out your new Aura.
- Follow our pre-established channels to see some examples of this in action. First, in Aurasma, search for and follow Northwest High School, #CoopGovt, and Compher Social Sciences channels. Next, follow this link to our list of images that will then trigger the overlays (don’t forget, double tap the screen to make the video larger and single tap to go to the next part of the assignment). https://thrasymakos.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/aurasma-trigger-images/
- Video instructions: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/aurasma-how-to/4286739/?ref=app or http://youtu.be/sIjtI2N81TI
- Our video with ideas how to take Aurasma to the next level with Bloom’s: https://thrasymakos.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/making-it-legit-teaching-with-aurasma-ii-video/